Occupational Health and Safety Advisor
- Britco Pork - Langley
- January 09, 2020
Position title: Administration
Employment Type: Full Time
Donald’s Fine Foods is a family-owned business and has operated for over 25 years. We are a specialty meat processing and distribution company spanning three plants in British Columbia and Saskatchewan, serving both domestic and international markets. Our production and distribution facilities work in partnership to deliver exceptional products.
We are recruiting for our next Occupational Health and Safety Manager! Come grow with us.
Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer, the Safety Manager is responsible for collaborating with Senior local operations leaders to ensure that safety behaviors align with DFF policies, program, compliance, procedure, and implementation at the Company’s Langley, Mitchell Island, Moose Jaw, and Chilliwack manufacturing sites. The primary goal of the safety Manager is to be the center of expertise for all Safety related matters and contribute towards a strong safety culture within the workplace.
Government regulations and compliance
- Ensure that the facilities are in compliance with all relevant Acts, Regulations, Policies, and Standards
- Ensure WHMIS / MSDS documentation is up to date in each facility
- Oversee and manage the individual certifications required for the safe operation of equipment
- Guide team to achieve OSSE certification
Administration and Policies
- Perform claims administration and coordinate light-duty and return to work programs
- Analyze accident and injury data and develop and implement strategies in order to address challenges
- Ensure that job safety analyses are complete for all machines and equipment
- Perform monthly safety statistics reporting
- In conjunction with Facility Management, ensure Monthly Safety meetings are held at all facilities and action plans are followed up
- Conduct accident investigations and root cause analysis for all medical aid and lost time incidents
- Collaborate with the HR Manager and Plant Management to build a safety culture among all employees
- Lead and collaborate with the Company’s Moose Jaw based OH&S Advisor in order to drive consistent safety messaging and programs across all of the Company’s locations
- Assist in the maintenance of employee safety and health communications and training programs including toolbox talks
- Coordinate and provide safety training to managers and staff as needed
- Facilitate safety training for all contractors
- Perform safety orientation for new hires and as required
Inspections and Tours
- Review job site safety compliance inspections including hazard analysis, safe work procedures and write reports and recommendations to senior management.
- Assist in the development and implementation of safety action plans.
- Facilitate, participate, and oversee safety and health inspections and ensure the management of compliance with regulatory safety requirements.
- Perform safety audits for Company facilities
- Ensure safety drills are conducted at the required intervals.
- Other duties as required
- Post-secondary education in Occupational Health and Safety or related field
- 5-8 years’ experience in Health and Safety, preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Completion of or working towards the CRSP designation
- Current knowledge of government legislation including but not limited to Workers Compensation, DOT, Privacy and Human Rights
- Comprehensive knowledge of BC and SASK regulations.
- Experience with disability management, accident investigation, workplace inspection and job hazard analysis is preferred
- Proven ability to effectively plan and direct the work of the department and manage its staff and resolve conflict in a positive and constructive manner
- Willing to actively participate in continuous professional development throughout the course of employment
- Proven ability to maintain the confidentiality of information and records
- Service and team-oriented leader who pays specific attention to detail
- Proven ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Valid Occupational First Aid Level 2 certificate or willingness to attain one
- Proficient in MS Office
- Effective communicator – Verbal and written
- Must have a reliable vehicle and valid license. Be willing to travel.
Careers by Location
Benefits of working with us
We are a fast paced growing Company – with that comes opportunities for growth for our team members.
At Donald’s Fine foods we offer:
- Competitive Wages
- Extended Health and Dental plans
- Bonus program
- Long Term savings plan
- Employee meat purchase program*
Our team includes employees that are covered by Collective Agreements. Accordingly, these agreements govern the rewards provided to this subset of our employees and may differ from the rewards outlined above.
Our office in Langley, BC boasts an on-site gym as well as a cafeteria.
*this program is not available at Five Corners Meats Co. at the moment