Human Resources Manager
- Thunder Creek Pork - Moose Jaw
- June 04, 2021
Position title: Office
Donald’s Fine Foods is a family owned business and has operated for over 26 years. We are a specialty meat manufacturer spanning four plants in British Columbia and Saskatchewan.
• Customer Focused – we go above and beyond to serve our customers
• Integrity – we are honest and ethical
• People – we treat our employees, customers, suppliers and the community with trust and respect
• Quality – we do it right
• Safety – we provide a safe work environment
Brief Job Description
Reporting to the Director HR, you will be responsible for coordinating all daily human resources activities in BC and/or SK including:
• Employee and Labour Relations
• Health, Wellness & Safety
• Performance Management
• Talent Acquisition and Workforce planning
• Employee Engagement and Communications
• HR Strategy
• HR Administration
• Learning and Development
In addition, you will ensure that all human resource and related programs support the organization’s goals, policies, and objectives within the appropriate regulations and generally accepted standards of sound human resource management practices.
I. EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
• Identify and lead company initiatives to develop and maintain employee relations strategy, objectives and practices.
• Act as the primary contact for daily employee issues, including:
o Interpreting and providing guidance on policies and collective bargaining agreements,
o Advising management and line managers on employee and labour relation issues,
o Providing guidance and oversight on disciplinary issues,
o Ensuring compliance with various regulatory and legislative requirements,
o Assisting in resolving any legal, litigation, and grievance issues.
• Provide guidance and direction to managers and supervisors in the interpretation and administration of the collective agreements and employee relations policies and practices.
• Participate in contract negotiations for the unionized facility and act as the liaison to the Senior Management team on collective agreement matters and other union-related issues.
II. HEALTH, WELLNESS & SAFETY
• Assist the operation’s Health and Safety team with oversight and implementation of Health & Safety Program.
• Coordinate and administer employee benefit programs including, WSBC and/or WCB and “return to work” programs.
• Demonstrates a commitment to a safe work environment. Understand the safety objectives of the organization and supports these efforts in a visible manner.
• Maintains a working knowledge of safety policies and regulations to ensure duties of self and others are performed in a safe manner.
• Participates and supports the business Environmental, Health & Safety committees or improvement teams.
• Support time loss and medical cost WSBC and/or WCB claims, including facilitation of modified duties and return to work program with Operations.
• Identify and support Health and Wellness initiatives.
III. PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
• Support & facilitate performance management with the operations (site specific)
• Progressive Discipline
• 30-90 day reviews
• Bi Annual and Annual Performance review
• Prepares and maintains position job description and roles & responsibilities (site specific).
• Provide consultative support as required to management in regards to employee performance issues.
IV. TALENT ACQUITION AND WORKFORCE PLANNING
• Lead recruiting and staffing activities, including working with managers to develop needs, job postings, screening, interviewing, and selection.
• Develop and maintain recruitment policies and procedures.
• Participate in offsite recruiting activities, such as job fairs, campus/school visits, etc.
• Prepare offer letters, onboarding, and training programs.
• Assist to develop robust talent management plans to attract, retain, develop, and engage talent in critical roles.
• Work with management and line managers to identify key talent and develop appropriate succession plans
• Maintain metrics for employee demographics – people lifecycle
• Recruitment and turnover tracking and exit interview reporting
• Developing community partnership and recruitment brand to attract talent pool
• Coordinate and administer employee benefit programs including Disability Management and other Leave of absences.
V. EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT AND COMMUNICATION
• Develop and execute employee communication strategies.
• Be visible and approachable to employees.
• Ensure execution of all employee programs (service awards, rewards and recognition, etc.).
• Work with operations and corporate team in roll out and facilitation of key messages.
• Maintain a pulse on employee issues/concerns through engagement surveys and employee feedback. Provide recommended actions to Senior Management to maintain positive employee engagement.
• Follow through with action items for engagement surveys.
VI. HR STRATEGY
• Assist to develop and deliver the HR strategy in alignment with business objectives.
• Attend regular divisional meetings and report on current HR issues as appropriate, ensure operational issues are reflected in the HR strategic planning process.
VII. HR ADMINISTRATION
• Ensure that the interests of employees and company are considered in accordance with HR policies, and applicable government laws and regulations.
• Manage HR budget for the site: monitor, estimate, and plan for future HR resource requirement.
• Ensure the senior managers are informed of issues and requisite policy matters on a timely basis and keeps other departments informed as required.
• Ensures that all correspondence is completed on time and in a thorough and comprehensive manner to foster positive stakeholder perceptions.
• Attends meetings in a fully prepared manner and actively participates in discussions.
• Develop and report on key HR measurements indicators.
VII. TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
• Training of managers on employee matters as required.
• Coach management and line managers to build strength in teamwork, motivation and organizational effectiveness.
• Develop robust talent management plans to attract, retain, develop, and engage talent in critical roles.
• Coordinate tracking, approval and payment of employee training and development programs.
• Identify opportunities for training and development of employees.
• Identify any resources, programs, grants, and tools available to assist in the training and development of employees
• Minimum of 15 years of progressive HR experience in a generalist or management – a significant portion of this experience should be in a unionized manufacturing environment, with food manufacturing being ideal.
• University or College education and HR Certification preferred (CPHR)
• Proven effective HR leadership experience within both large and small-sized unionized organizations
• Solid understanding of employee engagement and change management process
• In-depth knowledge of, and experience in:
HR management principles
occupational health and safety
compensation and benefits
recruitment and retention
talent acquisition and development
foreign worker hiring and documentation ideal
• Demonstrated ability to:
maintain a high-energy level in a rapid-pace work environment
work collaboratively at all levels of the organization and within teams.
communicate effectively with colleagues and stakeholders.
use excellent judgement and superior problem solving skills within the scope of duties.
Proficient with Word, PowerPoint, and Excel software
Careers by Location
Benefits of working with us
We are a fast paced growing Company – with that comes opportunities for growth for our team members.
At Donald’s Fine foods we offer:
- Competitive Wages
- Extended Health and Dental plans
- Bonus program
- Long Term savings plan
- Employee meat purchase program*
Our team includes employees that are covered by Collective Agreements. Accordingly, these agreements govern the rewards provided to this subset of our employees and may differ from the rewards outlined above.
Our office in Langley, BC boasts an on-site gym as well as a cafeteria.
*this program is not available at Five Corners Meats Co. at the moment